Swift

Gratus by Milani Ulangco

"Gratus"
by Milani Joy R. Ulangco


I do not know how to start
a poem I know nothing of
Though, I have heard a lot
about him:

He was a demagogue;
giving false hopes to the nation,
depriving them of their rights
people treat him like a god because of his might

People start begging
they want to see a light;
hoping their suffering will end
wanting to stop all these pretends

And one day, they did
They finally stood up
Though, they thought
giving up was their last resort

I didn't get to witness them fight
I hope I did, I hope I was there that night
And I guess that's what kept them going:
hope
That at the end of the day,
they'd still be complete and stay sane

But, who am I to suppose what actually happened?
I cannot tell for I am not a witness
There were victims and he was the suspect
All I hear and watch are mere snips
by the people who were there;
the ones who have experienced hell

But. I still cannot tell
This is a poem I know nothing about
This is the poem I did not know where to start

But the end is near
When people faced their fear
However, the aftermaths are still evident and clear

All I can say is:
Thank God, I am still here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments