Swift

I am a Filipino


I am a Filipino and above me shines the brightest sun that gives warmth to every Filipino citizens living under it. With its rays that strike up every historical landmarks and people, the captivating hills of Bohol, the undeniably tall, green pine trees of Baguio or even the welcoming smiles that can be witnessed on everyone’s faces. It was the same sun that gave light to the national heroes that fought for our nation, that morning in Bagumbayan with Dr. Jose Rizal, that heroic act at Calumpit with Heneral Antonio Luna or with Gregorio del Pilar at Tirad Pass. 

I am a Filipino and I find a sense of belongingness, a feeling of comfort and relaxation for my country. The Philippines is my home, the land that I am proud to call my own. It is the hometown of the happiest and most hospitable people. It is a place that has a diverse culture, starting from its best preserved islands to its remarkable historical landmarks. The only place where complaints were marked as compliments especially under the strong heat of the sun. There was no place for any complain or hatred for it being too hot.

But, that was then.

And the sun is slowly setting down.

I am a Filipino and I am disappointed that there is not much hope for us all. The sun has set down. And so has our country. It saddens me that we have let ourselves down. Ophel Belo, the valedictorian for 2007 2007 at the recently concluded graduation ceremonies of the Filipino Workers' Resource Center - Skills Training Program (FWRC-STP) in Kuala Lumpur, shared, “Since the time of Rizal until now more than a century after, the cancer is still here -- a SOCIAL CANCER, AN ECONOMIC MALADY.” The question for the late improvement and unrecognizably poor system in the Philippines still remains.

What have we done to our country?

I am a Filipino and I am starting to regret that I am one. From the polluted and smelly Pasig river to the vandalized walls and polluted streets in Makati especially at night. We are living in a place where much of the beauty of our native land has been destroyed by the heartless citizens who are using this country for themselves. I have lost hope that the sun would rise again. I have let myself down as well and I am very regretful that I still have not done a thing to make the sun rise again, to make our country the way it used to be.

I am a Filipino and I admit that I have lost hope for our land. But little by little, I am starting to realize things. Our world is not perfect, most especially the people living in it. The sun may have set down but that does not mean it would not rise up again. The sun will continue to rise up and enlighten us with its beauty and light. Our country may have faced a lot of challenges caused by our greediness but we all get countless chances to change. We get a chance to make new versions ourselves every day. Our chance is today.

I am a Filipino and above me will shine the brightest sun that would give warmth to every Filipino citizens living under it. The sun that would serve as guide and light for everyone. The sun that would give inspiration. I am willing to do everything to see its beauty once more.

                                                                                                             By: Kiara Gael Reyes

You Might Also Like

0 comments